My kitchen smells really yummy right now as I just made this dish. Here is the basic recipe but I decided to add home grown eggplant and some pasta sauce too. The only thing that went wrong was that I forgot to add the spinach (home grown as well) within the layers (not on top) because spinach tends to burn in the oven when exposed. The potatoes are home grown too! Look out for my next post about my herb garden and vegie patch.
- Some potatoes, thinly sliced
- Carrots, sliced
- 1 large green capsicum pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups spinach leaves
White Vegan Sauce (blend soy milk or coconut cream or Carnation soy condensed milk with onion flakes/powder, salt, herbs, corn flour, savoury yeast)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Lightly grease a casserole dish.
- Boil the sliced potatoes and carrots for ten minutes and drain and allow to steam dry.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the carrots, capsicum, onion, garlic, and spinach. Place two layers of sliced potatoes in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Season the potatoes with a little salt. Top with a layer of the spinach mixture, and pour about 1/2 cup of sauce over all. Sprinkle with some of the savoury yeast. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, vegetables, sauce and yeast, ending with savoury yeast on the top.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the lid, and bake for 10 more minutes until the top is browned.