You may be familiar with the use of castor oil for constipation, however, the healing benefits of castor oil reach into far more categories. Over the centuries, castor oil has received a sterling reputation because of its rapid haling benefits on so many different types of disorders.
The famous Edgar Cayce, called the sleeping prophet, popularized the use of castor oil in the 1940s and 50s, especially in the form of castor oil packs, which resulted in amazing health recoveries for many people. The most frequently recommended use of castor oil by Cayce was as castor oil packs, which were recommended for many conditions such as cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder), poor eliminations, epilepsy, various liver conditions such as cirrhosis and the torpid liver, scleroderma, headaches, appendicitis, arthritis, incoordination between assimilations and eliminations, colitis, intestinal disorders such as stricture and colon impaction, incoordination between nervous systems, neuritis, toxemia, and more.
For thousands of years, castor oil has been used for just about everything, from relieving menstrual cramps to easing childbirth and clearing warts. Castor oil has been used to assist healing the body from ancient times throughout the world. It was used therapeutically in ancient India, China, Persia, Egypt, Africa, Greece, Rome, the Americas and in 17th century Europe.
Castor oil was called the Palma Christi or the Hand of Christ. It is known to be effective for many diverse types of pain, liver and gallbladder stimulation and cleansing/detox, digestive problems, lacerations, skin disorders such as eczema or psoriasis, menopause symptoms, to boost the immune system, as an emollient and skin softener and much more. Today, many health care practitioners are discovering the benefits of using real, therapeutic quality castor oil. Castor oil is truly one of the earths most versatile healing gifts, and so simple to use.
Castor oil appears to work by drawing blood circulation and enhanced biological energy to the area where it is applied, and then drawing lodged toxins out of the body. Many practitioners often use castor oil as an important adjunct to a comprehensive treatment plan for an individual. It is important to eradicate the root cause of an illness, not only to clear the symptoms of a disorder. Castor oil has proven very valuable in helping to detoxify the body at deeper levels, thus eliminating the root causes.
The effectiveness of castor oil may be due in part to its unusual chemical composition. Castor oil is a triglyceride of fatty acids. Almost 90% of its fatty acid content consists of rinoleic acid. Such a high concentration of this unusual unsaturated fatty acid may be responsible for castor oils remarkable healing abilities. Research has shown rinoleic acid to be effective in preventing the growth of numerous species of viruses, bacteria, yeasts and molds. Due to the many beneficial aspects of this fatty acid component, castor oil can be applied topically to treat a wide variety of health complaints.
Using castor oil topically has shown to be successful in clearing stubborn skin ailments such as ringworm, keratoses, and skin inflammation. Generally, for these conditions, the affected area is simply wrapped in cotton cloth soaked with castor oil for one night or a few nights in a row until the area heals. In Russia, castor oil is added to health products to restore hair growth and luster, to help resolve constipation, and to soothe eye irritations.
Much of the popularity of castor oil, especially the use of an external castor oil pack, can be attributed to the late healing psychic, Edgar Cayce, who liberally recommended the use of castor oil for many people who came to him requesting help for many types of health conditions. Cayce was especially fond of recommending castor oil as an abdominal pack, where several layers of cotton are saturated with castor oil and then placed against the skin, after which heat is applied for about one hour. The results were so astounding that castor oil packs are still very popular today. Cayce recommended the use of castor oil packs in hundreds of readings to improve the bodys eliminations, lymphatic circulation and assimilation of nutrients. By using castor oil packs, the flow of lymph is increased throughout the body. This helps to speed the removal of toxins surrounding the cells and to reduce the size of swollen lymph nodes. The end result is a pronounced, systemic improvement in organ function with a general lessening of fatigue and depression. Dr. William McGary, a medical doctor in Phoenix, Arizona, who extensively studied Cayces medical recommendations, showed that his own patients using castor oil packs had significant increases in the production of lymphocytes as compared to those using placebo packs. In his book, The Oil That Heals, Dr. McGary recounts many seemingly miraculous cases where castor oil packs were the key therapy used to help his patients overcome many different types of disorders in a very short time.
Beware of the source of castor oil. Unfortunately, much castor oil currently available is derived from castor oil beans that have been cultivated with pesticides or poorly grown, thus having few or no healing properties, and which have been solvent-extracted or deodorized, which damages healing phytonutrients and imparts residual toxic solvent contaminations.
The best castor oil comes from the ancient land of its original discovery and use: India. The non-hybrid castor beans are still grown by traditional herbal masters in the dense, central forests of India in fertile, luxurious soil and pure air. The castor oil is cold pressed, without hexane, and is 100% pesticide-free. The castor oil we use from Premier Research Lab is guaranteed to contain the full range of highly active, undamaged healing phytonutrients, including ricinoleic acid, undecylenic acid, and much more.
The castor oil pack is very healing to liver and large intestine. It also stimulates the hatching of parasitic eggs that may be depositing into the abdominal cavity. The bugs are then killed by the Parastat and Paracidin in the coffee enema.
Castor Oil Pack Instructions
1. Select a target area to be treated. To aid the Liver, Gall Bladder, Parasite, Fluke, Colon Cleanse, target the liver and/or colon. This means putting it under the right ribcage, extending towards the belly button and descending colon on the left side of the belly button.
2. Prepare 3 layers of cotton flannel. Fold or cut the cloth into three sheets, creating a pad of adequate size to cover the area to be treated. For example, to use a castor oil pack over the abdominal area, the size of the flannel cloth might be 10îx8î and three sheets thick.
3. Cut a plastic sheet. The sheet should be somewhat larger than the flannel cloth. The plastic is used to protect the heating pad from getting oily. Using a plastic bag normally works fairly well, but it is best to avoid using plastic bags printed with ink on one side which can dissolve and spread when exposed to castor oil.
4. Saturate the cloth with castor oil. Place the flannel cloth on top of the plastic sheet. Then saturate it with castor oil. The cloth should be wet, but not dripping. The saturated cloth should be then placed directly on the target area with the plastic sheet on top of it. Your plastic sheet should cover the entire exterior of the saturated flannel, since castor oil is likely to stain any fabric it touches.
5. Place hot water bottle or heating pad over plastic sheet. Set the heating pad on either a low or medium setting, or higher if it is comfortable. The heat will promote absorption, increase circulation, and encourage the body to relax. This is generally left in place for up to one hour, and can be left on overnight. You may place a bath towel over the top of the heating pad to help hold in the heat and an elastic bandage to hold it in place. Caution: Heat should not be used in conditions where it is normally contraindicated, such as appendicitis, diabetic neuropathy or over the abdomen during pregnancy. However, the castor oil pack may be used without heat in these conditions.
6. Wash Off Area. After using the castor oil pack, cleanse the skin using a washcloth and organic soap. Washing the area helps clear acidic toxins which have been drawn out of the body during the treatment and helps prevent reabsorbing these toxins.
Castor Oil Pack Without Heat. An alternative method is to apply the castor oil pack without heat, using a towel wrapped around the body, with safety pins to hold it in place. This can be left on for several hours, overnight, or for an entire 24-hour period.
Re-use of the Same Castor Oil Pack. Each cotton flannel pack may be used up to 10 times if, between usages, it is kept in a plastic container and refrigerated. With use, the pack gradually absorbs toxins. Therefore, after 10 uses, discard the pack and make a new one. It is not recommended to try to wash out the pack for re-use.
Frequency of Castor Oil Packs. In general, the castor oil packs are recommended 2 times per week, for Ω to 1 Ω hours per session, for 6 weeks. At first, it may work better to skip a day between use of each pack, rather than using them on consecutive days.
Long-Term Chronic Illness. If a person has been chronically ill for a long time, if they have a high degree of toxicity or if they have significant difficulty eliminating toxins, such as with kidney failure, then it is best if the packs are used on alternating days for the first week or son and for shorter periods of time, such as 15 to 30 minutes per session. As the general condition of the body improves, the packs may be used more frequently and/or for longer periods of time.
Cleansing Reactions. The use of castor oil packs should always be gentle, without side effects. Cleansing reactions, such as a rash, are rare. If they occur, it usually indicates that the bodyís ability to eliminate toxins is not sufficient yet. It may be necessary to temporarily decrease the frequency or length of time of using the packs. The most common cleansing reaction is a rash that may occur at the site of the pack. If this occurs, it is typically noticed during the first few applications of the pack.
Castor oil packs are one of those rare remedies that cannot be used too much. Many people continue to use castor oil packs periodically throughout their lives to help boost the immune system, to keep the lymphatic circulation clear, to assist in proper eliminations, and to always feel their best.
Text by Gabriel Cousens.
Further info and resources ~
Wonderful Book of Naturopathic Techniques